June has been a month filled with ups and downs. And I'm not just talking about elevators or my recent girls' getaway to San Francisco. ;)

I've been quiet because you really didn't need to know what was going on in Bonnieland. One day I'll look back upon late May/early June as a time when I needed to "shop at the perspective store," as DH so lovingly told me.

Yes, he's still alive.

What really helped was a tour of Alcatraz, truth be told. I stood and peered into each small cell and thought about how good I had it. Sure, the inmates had a bed and three square meals a day, but they had little else.

Not even a kitten of mass destruction (who greeted me with poop at the door upon my return).

And while last week I'd been fully prepared to peel the face off a perfect stranger because she couldn't put her shopping cart to the side like you're supposed to, now I'm feeling less dangerous.

Here's why:

1. I spent four days being a tourist in an incredibly fun city with Laura, my incredibly fun friend from college. Rode the hop-on/hop-off tour bus as if it were the best thing since Jell-O. Then we switched to the trolley cars. My arms and legs still hurt from all the hanging on for dear life.

2. I attended a local writer's group meeting (not one that I belong to) and instead of being treated like a welcome guest, my friends and I got the stink eye, a few shushes, and discontented murmur's when a few of us won raffle items. Little did we know we weren't their type of people. It's okay; the feeling is mutual. ;) Made me appreciate my writing group a whole lot more.

3. As much as it drives me nuts, I actually enjoy what I do for a living. There are a lot of people who can't say that, so I count myself lucky. And no, I'm not talking about my go-go dancing career. :)

4. The notes from my beta reader on the novel that almost killed me aren't that bad. Yeah, I have a ton of work to do, but it'll make for a much stronger story. Looks like I'll have to pick up more index cards. Maybe colourful ones! I heart shopping for office supplies!

5. I have the best husband in the world. Even if he snores louder than my grandmother.

What about you? What makes you appreciate what you have?

Labels: , , ,