For those not in the know, Polaris is a very cool convention that celebrates all things science fiction. It's roots are based on Toronto Trek, which DH and I used to attend many, many years ago.

This was my first time at Polaris, and I rode on the coattails of Michelle Rowen, who participated on some panels, signed some books and even did a reading from Stakes & Stilettos. The Klingons were strangely absent for that one. ;)

And i must confess that I did not partake in the entire three-day event: I was only there for eleven hours. Some were longer than others.

Here's what I learned:

Favourite new saying: Enough with the Battlestar Dramatica!

1. Stormtrooper costumes come in kids' sizes.

I probably knew this already, but it was nice to be reminded that Star Wars really is fun for the whole family.

2. Spending an hour in a room with BSG fans is fracking insane.

I thought us Trekkers had it bad. Not only did these fine people dissect a "fave" scene, they even debated the finer points of goals, motivation and conflict in character development. It was kind of like being at RWA Nationals. Only with Cylons.

And check out this video promoting the event.

3. Darth Vader is a gentleman.

We could hear him from our lunch table and, for the briefest moment, as he followed us to the Dealers' Room. But, at one point in the evening, he stepped aside to let Michelle and I pass, sweeping his black robe out of the way so we wouldn't wreck his chances for a date at the Masquerade Ball.

4. People always stop and chat in tight spaces.

Be it the Dealers' Room or the Art Gallery, some humans (and other life forms) feel the need to gather and block traffic, keeping people away from Buffy and X-Men merchandise. And why is all the really cool art not for sale?

And, last but not least:

5. Some fans should invest in a mirror.

Seriously people. I want to be awed by your costume, not ewwed. At one point, when all that stood between me and a David Duchovny signed photo was a jiggly mass trying to escape from a too-tight Xena outfit, I had an idea. Why not create a product that's the size of a pepper-spray canister yet shoots clothes onto people. It could change lives, especially at next year's event.

All in all, it was a lot of fun. And I resisted the urge to buy any trading cards -- or costumes. ;)

Labels: ,