At 9:00 p.m. last night, I started baking. Did I have any plans for giving out baked goods for the holidays? No. But still, after an evening with the DH doing last-minute grocery shopping and stopping at Wendy's for celebratory Bacon Mushroom Melts, I felt like baking.

And sometimes, when the muse strikes, you just have to go with it. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that there was a muse for baking. It makes sense though, as baking, like any other creative activity, is a lot easier when you have that muse mojo happening.

Time, flour and popppyseeds flew. I didn't even grate off any skin with the zesting of the lemons. It's kind of like the running of the bulls, only quieter.

By 2:30 a.m. I had ten dozen cookies. All lemon-poppyseed shortbread. And no, I don't deliver.

The DH kept on sticking his head into the kitchen to make sure I was okay. Despite the late hour and being covered with flour and lemon zest, I felt pretty darn good. It's been so long since I've made cookies; I forgot how fulfilling it could be. Especially when they turn out yummy.

Do I have enough tins to distribute them to all the friends and family? No, but that's okay, Mom's coming by tomorrow with some extra ones from her stash.

Before you go judging me about preparing shortbread for all those friends and family who are watching their weight over the holidays, you should know that these cookies have half the fat and calories of my regular shortbread cookies.

I made them half the size. ;)

Now all I have to do is stop "sampling" them and get the tins out of here quick.

Tomorrow we have both sets of parents in for Christmas at Casa Staring, which will be held again without a tree since we know Zaphod, the kitten of mass destruction, would enjoy that way too much. The gifts are wrapped, the turkey and other items we're contributing are as prepared as they can be, and we only have to take a few more items out of the dining room to find the chairs and linen. ;)

The cards will be revised to "Happy New Year" ones and sent out next week. ;)

Merry Christmas, happy holidays and may some lovely miracles (or really good tidings) come your way.

Labels: ,