This is the point of NaNo when most writers should have passed the 25K mark. I have not. Not even close.

And, somehow, I'm okay with this.

It's not that I've given up; I'm just catching myself doing those things that I do when I lose track of where a story is going. When that happens, I add characters, have them stop and eat or simply throw in a dance sequence with celebrity judges. Le sigh.

Hitting 50K by November 30 is still possible. I just want to make sure that what I have created can be useful once NaNo is over and done. I look back at my last NaNo success (which was a few years back), and it's a big heap of words with no real sense of purpose, direction or, for that matter, punctuation.

And no, I'm not going back and reading over everything. That's asking for trouble. My first draft is rough and nasty, filled with repetitive words, oodles of dialogue and passages of description that come out of nowhere. Oh, and there's this owl that keeps on hooting for no apparent reason. Gotta love the Canadian wilderness. ;)

So yeah, my current word count may suck, but I have 12,500 more words than I did on November 1. And that's not too shabby.

Labels: ,