In almost every self-help book I own, there's a sentence that reads like this:

"If you keep on doing things the same way, how can you expect different results?"

And, now that I've seen it about a gazillion times, I think there might be some truth to that. ;) Not that I consider my approach to things to be particularly standard (those how know me might be choking on beverages right about now), but my reaction to what happens may be falling into a pattern. Here's an example:

Upon discovery of an opportunity/new idea/new project: "Ohmigawd! This is freaking awesome! I have to go for it and just do it -- it's my destiny. I can just feel it."

About a third of the way through: "Oh, Mah. Gawd. There's a lot more to this than I realized, but it's still uber-fun. This is gonna be great. I can just feel it."

Past the midway point, no light at the horizon: "Ohmigawd, this thing is never gonna end. What the heck was I thinking? This is about as fun as yams. And everything I've created is absolute crap. I can just feel it."

At the completion of whatever the heck it was: "Ohmigawd! This is freaking done! I can't believe I actually finished it. And it wasn't all that horrible. Next time, it's gonna be different. I can just feel it."

And I repeat this four-step process over and over again, hence my need to shake things up. Oh dear, did I just use the word hence in a blog post? Can you tell I've been proofing business collateral? LOL

So I'm going to see if I can actually enjoy the entire process while I do stuff. Of course, that might be asking for the impossible since I KNOW that I don't enjoy the part when I'm ready to give up on the treadmill and then see that I'm only three minutes into my 30-minute workout. Le sigh.

Maybe I'll just shake things up by ordering a tropical smoothie. ;)

Labels: , ,