It really feels like I've been spinning the wheel this week. Not sure if there's fortune involved, but I'm a real sucker for prizes of any shape or form. Tonight, despite a screaming to-do list and a wee bit of sleep deprivation, I ventured downtown for an evening of luck and culture.

No, I wasn't playing checkers with the rummies again. ;)

My contest-loving friend Geri and I entered the Avenue Q ticket lottery. Two hours before each show, you can put your name in a hat for a pair of awesome seats for that night's performance for the incredible price of $25 each. Normally they go for $90 a pop.

It's perfect for cheapskates like us!

Using the secret ballot-folding techniques we practice at our monthly contest club meetings, we both felt positive that one of us was going to win. We went out to grab a quick dinner and used our positive-thinking powers to attract the Contest Gods and have them smile upon us.

At 7:00 p.m. we gathered back at the theater with the other hopeful ballot entrants, awaiting the man with the hat. The first few names he called, for some strange reason, we not ours, but Geri and I weren't worried. We agreed that if things looked dire, we'd take down one of the skinny guys whose name was called right away. ;)

Then, the dude with the hat pulled out my origami-swan of a ballot and called my name! So I squealed like a gal headed to Contestant's Row. It went something like this:

"WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO! I WON! I WON!"

He stepped back nervously before handing me my ballot to take to the box office so I could purchase our cheap, awesome tickets (8th row, near the center). Oh, it's a powerful thing when my excitement terrifies grown men.

Ask the DH, he knows about it all too well.

So Geri and I got to see Avenue Q all up close and personal like. It's one of the most hysterical theatrical productions I've seen in ages. It made me laugh, it made me sniffle and, truth be told, it made me feel like I could do anything.

And that's a good thing, since I've got a lot of stuff left on that darn to-do list.

Labels: , ,