That's my new band name. I play the electric triangle.

Today has been one of those hurry up and wait kind of days, which turned out to be just what I needed in order to deal with the strain of arranging upcoming dinner dates with friends.

Don't get me wrong; gathering with friends is one of my favourite things to do. Especially if food and drinks with paper umbrellas are involved. And, with it being the holiday season and all, some folks need to be booked way in advance, which reminds me of a woman I used to babysit for who would lock me in for New Year's Eve in late August. That kind of took the mystery out of wondering how I'd ring in the New Year.

Hey, for a 14 year-old girl, that was a major deal. A boy could have asked me out or something. The zit on my chin could have healed over by then. And maybe, just maybe, my parents would let me actually go on a date. Or wear eyeshadow.

Ah, the good old days.

But back to the preplanning ways of the holidays. I think all of this organizing and planning has turned this season into one of project management, not spreading holiday cheer.

Besides having kids, how do you recapture the holiday spirit when just the thought of gift wrapping makes you want to run off to the Bahamas?

Hey, there's an idea...